Seasonal Workers And Their Tax Returns

Seasonal Workers And Their Tax Returns

Seasonal Workers And Their Tax Returns

In simple terms, seasonal workers are individuals willing to work on short notice - these can be overseas visitors, students, part-timers, etc. - and can range from agriculture to industries, to recreational jobs and more. In most cases their tax is deducted using the current PAYE calculator. If you want to find out whether you were owed tax returns, simple apply with us online and we will find out with the IRD how much tax you are owed.

How much do we cost?

  ✔    A flat 15% of your refund amount, and a maximum of up to $399 only.

  ✔    No charge for ID verification.

  ✔    No charge for PTS if No Tax Refunds.

 What about my Tax Code?

The tax code for most seasonal workers are usually either - M, CAE, NSW, or SB. Go through our Tax Code page for more information on this. If you're a seasonal worker or a backpacker and you're still confused about your tax code, just leave us a mail and we'll talk.

There are a few other tax code options for specific occupations in New Zealand, which may well apply to people on a working holiday for a wage. These are:

  ✔    Casual Agricultural Workers – casual seasonal workers working on a day-to-day basis for up to three months. The tax code is ‘CAE’.
  ✔    Election Day Workers – the tax code is ‘EDW’.
  ✔    Recognised Seasonal Workers – people who are employed under the RSE Scheme in horticulture or viticulture (must obtain a valid visa or a permit).
  ✔    Schedular Payments – tax code for independent contractors, not employees. The tax code is ‘WT’.
  ✔    Special Tax Code – a special tax code certificate is required for this. The tax code is ‘STC’.

I have a question that's not covered here.

That's okay. Just apply or login and send us an email. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

More About Taxes

Immigrants' Tax Returns | Your Refund Limited

Immigrants' Tax Returns

If you're new to New Zealand, chances are, you may have a foreign passport, or hold a resident, work or student visa or an Australian passport - but not an IRD number. Yet, you are still legible to apply for your tax refunds from IRD.

Personal Tax Summary | Your Refund Limited

Personal Tax Summary

The details of all your income and tax deductions over the course of a financial year are filed under a Personal Tax Summary or PTS, in short. These details are based on the information that the IRD has with them.

Tax Year vs. Calendar Year | Your Refund Limited

Tax Year vs. Calendar Year

As an individual taxpayer, the one you should be concerned about is the personal financial year which begins on 1st April and ends on 31st March (the following year). Why these dates? Because it is relevant to your tax returns.

Your IRD Number | Your Refund Limited

Your IRD Number

Kiwis are often issued a unique IRD number at birth itself – and the IRD makes it really is easy to get one, online or in person. This 8 or 9 digit number will last you your lifetime they say. But what is it exactly? Amd what for?